The Party Constitution
From The Common People
Jump to navigationJump to search
- Name: We are ‘The Common People’.
- Terminology: ‘shall’, ‘will’ and ‘must’, throughout this Constitution, denote an imperative; ‘may’ is an option.
- Purpose: The Common People (‘the party’) exists to implement a moderate, just and fair socialist policy on behalf of all the citizens of the United Kingdom through lawful democratic processes at relevant local, national and international levels of government.
- Policy: consists of the party’s founding principles supplemented by policy decisions, where these do not contradict the party’s founding principles, taken by conference.
- Conference delegates: are the party’s Westminster and European parliamentary constituency candidates, all Lords under the party whip, and nominees, as determined by the membership committee, and shall meet annually and whenever called to an extraordinary session with a minimum of one week’s notice. Conference shall be quorate when opened in the presence, online or otherwise, of at least two thirds of its delegates and shall determine its own procedures.
- The Membership Committee: consists of all MPs and MEPs under the party whip and nominees, as determined by the membership committee. All members of the membership committee shall be listed on the party website. The membership committee shall be quorate when opened in the presence, online or otherwise, of at least two thirds of its members, shall meet with a minimum of one week’s notice and shall determine its own procedures. The membership committee is responsible for all internal party appointments.
- Leadership: The party shall be led by an member of the membership committee and selected by the membership committee. The leader shall make all cabinet or shadow cabinet appointments.
- Finance: The party operates one national funding office which accepts donations and is subject to audit. All donors shall be listed on the party website together with all associated income. The party shall have no income other than through the funding office. Only citizens of the United Kingdom may donate to the party.
- Amendments: This Constitution shall only be amended with the approval of at least two thirds of conference delegates and tabled with a minimum of one week’s notice, and only while Conference is in session.